State and Local Tax Controversies
At Neschis & Tolitano, LLC, we have a diversified and comprehensive state and local tax practice. As Chicago state and local tax law attorneys, we represent individuals and business taxpayers in state and local tax audits, appeals and administrative and Tax Tribunal hearings. We handle tax cases involving a broad spectrum of state local tax law issues, including:
- Corporate income tax
- Personal income tax
- Sales and Use tax
- Employment taxes and IL withholding taxes
- Motor fuel tax
- Chicago use tax and personal property lease tax
As Chicago attorneys who have significant experience with state and local tax law, we focus on developing solutions for our clients' particular tax issues at each procedural stage of the case from the initial audit, to the appeal before the Informal Conference Board Review (ICB), to litigation at the Office of Administrative Hearings or the Illinois Independent Tax Tribunal.
We also assist taxpayers who have been assessed as a "responsible officer" with personal penalty liability with respect to a business's unpaid and outstanding sales or withholding taxes. We have handled numerous cases involving the protest of these personal assessments.
As Chicago state and local tax law attorneys, we also assist individuals and businesses in tax collection by the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR). We regularly represent taxpayers who have a tax debt with the Illinois Department of Revenue by providing assistance with:
- Negotiating installment agreements
- Preparing Offers in Compromise for submission to the Board of Appeals
- Preparing penalty abatement requests for submission to the Board of Appeals
- Representing taxpayers at hearings concerning the revocation of an Illinois business license